Wednesday 23 June 2010

Not necessarily the best selling technique

On Saturday we travelled up from Cape McLear to Lilongwe and after finding the bus station and then the VSO guest house I got settled in. On Sunday I decided to investigate the market in Lilongwe, and after successfully negotiating my way there via public transport (minibuses) wandered round the market to have a good look at the second hand clothes section. This is absolutely huge and sells a very wide range. One of the local traders was trying to interest me in purchasing some dresses, but really rather lost a sale after telling me that this particular dress would be OK as it was made for fat people and would therefore fit me. I wouldn't mind quite so much but having lost over 10kg since arriving here I wouldn't have necessarily classed myself as fat, maybe a touch over weight, but really, fat was pushing it! I said that I would think about it and come back to him. He then hunted me down at some of the other stalls and in the end I had to say no to his very kind offer, despite assuring me that he would give me a very good price.

No comments:

Post a Comment