Wednesday 10 February 2010

Nikki is in Malawi

Well I arrived safely in Malawi on Sunday 7th February. Flew overnight from London to Johannesburg, managing to solve many a crime on the Nintendo DS whilst around me everyone slept peacefully. There was a very short gap between one flight and the other, and whilst we just made it, after watching the carousel in Lilongwe for a long time, as predicted our luggage didn't. This had one advantage, I didn't need to carry it, as it was delivered to the hotel the next day but it also had it's disadvantages. The weather on arrival was gloriously sunny and hot, and really has continued that way ever since. It is the rainy season at the moment here in Malawi, but not as rainy as it should be. We have had rain only once so far whilst we have been awake to see it anyway.
We are spending the first week in Lilongwe doing in-country training. This includes language lessons, and have had two so far. My Chichewa though is going to take a long time alearning, but I have learnt the important words, thank you - Zikomo and sorry - papani, and how to greet someone day and night.

Today went to Nurses and Midwives Council of Malawi to start the registration process, and got details of my orientation programme. Will be spending four weeks on the wards and in clinics. i am really looking forward to this and to start getting to know my work colleagues. Also went to the local clinic and got a supply of treatment for malaria etc. just in case it should be needed. I hasten to say it is not needed now. Have been also learning about the culture and history of Malawi.

As you can see have access to the internet, well hopefully you will be able to see, as long as it doesn't shut down whilst I am doing this. it is on the slow side, so there is not much hope of uploading any pictures at the moment. I will need to become a bit more patient and give myself more time for doing internet stuff, but it is great to have the access we do have. Have also sorted out the mobile so have a new number which I have put to good use texting.

The hotel is very nice that we are staying in, but doesn't serve alcohol, but never fear, we are living next door to a bar, which we hoping to frequent this evening for the local volleyball tournament. The next door hotel also has a bar, so in the interests of cultural awareness I have participated in trying the wine and the beer. Both perfectly drinkable, just not necessarily both affordable. I will in the name of science try the local vodka as well.

On Saturday, I will be picked up by my new employer and taken to my accommodation, so am really looking forward to that. It will be great to see where I will be living. I will be sharing with one of the other volunteers who has just arrived as well, so together we can get ourselves lost in Blantyre trying to sort everything out.

Well I think I can hear my name being called for another food session, so had better go. It might be a while before I post again, as will need to sort out internet connections once I get to Blantyre, but I do have options to explore which all sound quite reasonable.

So far I think I can safely say I am enjoying Malawi, and it is so far living up to being the Warm Heart of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment