Saturday 6 February 2010

M-Day

So it is finally here, the day that I fly off to Malawi. Bags are all packed, only problem there is that I can't lift them. Me thinks they might be slightly overweight! and now if I haven't packed it, it isn't going. Fortunately though, the original 25kg allowance has grown to 3 bags of 23kg. I didn't think I would need that much, wrong. So not only do I have 2 suitcases, but a rucksac and a backpack and a laptop bag. There is a strong chance that my hold luggage won't catch up with me until sometime during the first week in Malawi, so have had to have a backpack with changes of clothes etc as well as all the essential items for an 11 hour flight, well they are essential to me, but am prepared to agree that they might be essential to everyone else. I wonder how many books will I be able to buy and carry when I get into the Departure lounge!

Well it is an 11 hour flight to Johannesburg and then change to another flight, which takes us to Llilongwe. This flight is 2 and a bit hours. We only have an hour between the two flights, and this probably explains why luggage doesn't always arrive with you. I'll be lucky to arrive with me, doing a mad dash across the airport to a different terminal.

The first week will be spent doing in-country training and then will be heading to Blantyre a week today. Will find out then where I will be living!

Well, better get my last TV viewing in for the forseeable future.

Next posting will be from Malawi.

No comments:

Post a Comment