Thursday 8 July 2010

My fire lighting skills are coming on a treat


No I haven't become a pyromaniac, but it is so chilly in the evenings out here, we are now having to light a fire each evening to keep warm. My fire lighting skills are improving which each night, and tonight managed to get a really good blaze going, without having to resort to a plastic bag ( a well known Malawian technique for getting the fire going). It is amazing that it can get so cold out here, you always imagine that you will be hot in Africa. Today saw me in a T-shirt, jumper with a cardigan on for good measure, and the electric fire on in the office. Who would have thought it. It is currently winter in Malawi, and though it doesn't get to below freezing in Blantyre, if you are in the more mountainous parts of Malawi, it is not unheard of to have a frost in the mornings.

The only downside to having the fire in the house is that you do rather smell of firewood all the time, and every so often have to open the door to let some of the smoke out, this despite having the chimney. I wonder if there are chimney sweeps here, I think we could use one.

No comments:

Post a Comment