Wednesday 11 August 2010

The Flames came to Blantyre

Today the Malawi Flames – Malawi's national football team – were playing at home to Botswana. It has to have been one of the most wintery days so far here, very stormy and windy with that horrible drizzly rain that is moving sideways so that you can't hold up an umbrella without it blowing inside out and all the rain comes in underneath anyway. This did not dampen the spirits of the Malawians who are extremely passionate about their football. Apparently according to my students the president had declared that there would be a half day public holiday so that people could get to see the match as it was being played midweek and in the afternoon. I can't imagine that they would have an evening match as there would probably be a power failure and the flood lights wouldn't work and there would be absolute uproar. Malawians are very passionate about their football. From lunch time onwards there was the sound of the horns again (just like the world cup all over again). Where I work is the other end of the road to the Kamuzu stadium so lots and lots of the fans went past braving the very inclement weather. I could also hear all the cheering etc from the stadium as I sat in my office wrapped up in 3 layers with the electric fire going trying desperaltly hard to keep warm without success as the louvre windows let a howling draft through them constantly. My office is on the cold side of the building which will be great in the hot season but not so good in the winter. My housemate was taken to see the match and said the atmosphere was absolutely amazing and it was a great experience but was absolutely frozen to the marrow by the time she got home. Perhaps as part of the cultural experience I should try and go and see a game for my self but think I shall wait until the weather is warmer. The result was a draw apparently with Malawi managing to equalise at the end of the second half.

No comments:

Post a Comment