Thursday 19 August 2010

It has been a tragic day

It was my birthday at the end of July and I have been making regular forays to the post office to see if any of my parcels have arrived yet. My first inclining that it was not all as it should be at the post office was when the postmistress looked at me with pity when I asked if there were any parcels for me. She went and retrieved my parcel and I could see that there was a piece of white paper attached. I carefully perused the said letter –


If it doesn't show up properly it says

"Apology Letter. The attached package was damaged by rodents in transit. Please, we are sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused."

Now I knew what was going to be in that package and had been dreaming about it for weeks, ever since I knew it had been sent.

I took said package tenderly in my hands and noticed the damage corner.


I was still optimistic but sadly that optimism proved to be misplaced when I got back to work and opened the parcel. It was not just the corner of the packaging that had been chewed off.

I did inspect the remainder of the contents quite thoroughly to see if anything could be retrieved but with great regret had to admit defeat and consign the rest of the package to the bin.

Obviously rats/mice or whatever love giant chocolate buttons as much as I do.

It is not as though you can't get chocolate out here, you can, just not this particular type, my favourite......

You can even get chocolate named after you. Thank you very much Ruth for these.and thank you to everyone else in Malawi for all the lovely birthday gifts that you gave me and for coming to the partae. Great time.

I should be grateful that it made it this far as am still waiting for parcels sent in February and still for some others sent after that a further 3 that I know of. It is very depressing knowing that people have taking all that trouble, effort and money to send you stuff and you never seem to receive it.

Oh well guess I will just have to wait until Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment