Sunday 11 April 2010

Easter Weekend at Fat Monkeys


The not very fat monkey at Fat Monkeys

To the left is the resturant area and on the left the bar

The boat that took us to Tumbi Island which you can see in the background

Lunch being prepared

Wishing I had an underwater camera


On Good Friday was picked up from the house by Bex and Matt in their lovely new car ready to drive to Fat Monkeys at Cape McLear on the southern end of Lake Malawi. After a very uneventful 3.5 hour drive, we arrived at Fat Monkeys. After putting up the tents, it was time for a swim in the lake, and the drinks in the bar. This pretty much set the scene for the next couple of days. On Friday evening we went to hiccups restaurant for dinner, and I think rather overtaxed the chefs there as it took 2 hours from ordering to actually getting our food, I know there were 16 of us, but really I could have bitten the arm of the waiter if he had stood long enough beside me by the time dinner did arrive. The bizarre thing is, we went back there on Sunday night for dinner, it was during the middle of a power cut and got our dinner in 45 mins. Half the restaurants in the village were not serving due to lack of power. The food however was very nice when it did arrive.

On the Saturday we arranged for a boat to take us out to Tumbi Island for the afternoon, and just have an afternoon relaxing on the rocks in the sun, whilst lunch was being cooked for us. Snorkelling equipment was also provided and it made me wish that I could scuba dive, just the little bit of fish life I saw down there was amazing, beautifully coloured fish, bright blues and yellows, I also wished I had an underwater camera.

Some of the wild life is really amazing and I just wish I could capture it better.

After a full English breakfast on Monday morning it was back to Blantyre and getting ready for another week at work – yes I do work here and as time goes on will tell you more about it but it is early days as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment