Thursday 29 April 2010

Thyolo and the Black Missionaries

Having been very kindly invited down to Thyolo by Bex and Matt for the weekend, I arrived there on Friday evening, courtesy of Bex picking me up. Thyolo was definitely the place to be although possibly not if you were a pig, but we will come on to that later. Two of the Dutch volunteer doctors down there were leaving after 3 years in Malawi and threw a big party in Thyolo Boma. The Black Missionaries were playing (they are Malawi's top reggae band), when we arrived the place was already buzzing and quite a lot of beer had already passed through some peoples lips. Quite early on a rather inebriated older Malawian gentleman was talking to Matt, and as the conversation went on, he proceeded to ask Matt if I was his wife and Bex our daughter, needless to say Bex and I found this highly amusing, I don't think Matt was quite so impressed. (I only found out this nugget on the Sunday but had to repeat it, sorry Matt) The Black Missionaries were really good and we had a really great time listening to them and dancing along, they only stopped in 4 hours when the power went out and fortunately the power failure didn't last for very long. There was much consternation though when the bar ran out of beer, they even had to put a guard on the bar to hold back the crowd, I don't think anyone was going to argue with him as he had a large rifle in his hand. Apparently someone went to get more beer, but I don't think they ever made it back.
On Saturday we went round to the house of the Dutch volunteers for a Braaie. They had had two pigs specially prepared for the party, bearing in mind these pigs had been alive in their garden the day before you might want to turn away from the rest of this post. The cooking / smoking process had started at 4am that morning by the chef, who had also been at the party the night before, so all hail his stamina and cooking ability and they arrived duly presented on two silver platters. OK the platters might not have quite been made of silver.

This is me with Pinky

And here's Perky

My apologies to those of a vegetarian persuasion.
The pork though was absolutely delicious and I was certainly a little piggy myself. Bex had also been busy preparing dishes for the party all morning, and had produced an absolutely delicious semifreddo and beef salad.

On Sunday although the weather was less than inclement, it was very low cloud cover and drizzling (it was just like being at home) we went for a walk around the tea estates, and walked up to the picnic spot, apparently the views from there are amazing and I shall find out the next time I go, weather permitting. All in all a lovely weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment