Saturday 10 April 2010

Practicing with my new tent



Prior to the Easter weekend, I had wondered off to Game during the lunch hour to purchase a tent and mattress for the forthcoming weekend away. In one of those bizarre coincidences bumped into two fellow volunteers who were doing the exact same thing. Game is a big chain store, although if there is only one can you describe it as a chain, but anyway, it is SA owned company (so there must be some there), and it is the sort of place where you can buy just about everything, so it is not suprising that you will bump into your fellow volunteers there. There is a bit of a standing joke between a few of us when discussing purchases 1. That it inevitably comes from Game and 2. When you ask how much it costs – 4000Mk, as everything always seems to be 4000Mk. Sadly not my tent and mattress though.


I decided that it would be a good idea prior to going away and then finding out that half the tent was missing, to practice putting it up in the garden. I managed to put the tent up without too much difficulty and all parts were present and correct. Discovered though that although it is described as a 2 person dome tent, what it doesn't say that the 2 people can't be any bigger than 2 foot by 1 foot. 2 person my eye. Just as well I wasn't planning on sharing it. I also tried out the blow up mattress, and worked out that there is no way that it can be blown up outside the tent, but would have to be blown up inside the tent, but that I would have to be outside the tent to achieve this. So intent was my concentration – camping has never been my forte, that I didn't notice the black clouds amassing overhead and my first inkling of the looming peril was the clap of thunder. Hurriedly took the tent down and brought it inside the house to put back in the tent bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment