Tuesday 27 April 2010

A Tactical error

Made a tactical error on Thursday, decided that I needed to go to the bank and get some money for the weekend. Fridays are mad busy at the bank as everyone wants money for the weekend and Saturdays – well just forget it. Having been in to the main branch on a Saturday for sorting things out, where the queue was easily 100 long, I have decided that discretion is the better part of valour here. So I thought, I know I will go up to the Supermarket as I need to get some bits and pieces from there and there is a branch of the bank there. I have an hour for lunch, so 15 mins fast walk each way, half an hour for the bank and supermarket. What could possibly go wrong? What I had forgotten though is that Game (a big store which sells just about everything – it is where I got my tent etc from) always has a special offer day on Thursday's – a free ad paper for Game is sent round on Wednesdays detailing the special offers, and they are queuing round the block to get in. Now the only problem with Game is that you have to pay for everything in cash, paying by credit/debit cards is very unusual here, you can do at the Supermarket but only on designated tills. So needless to say the queue in the bank was on the long side, there were only 3 points open and one of those was for deposits only. Queuing is not my strong point, especially as people here aren't great at recognising or respecting personal space – as an aside it is considered very rude to move away and make space between you even if there is more space. Have not quite got hang of the system here and am sure they send in ringers to stand in line for them, as I swear at least 5 people jumped the queue, they came out of nowhere, when one person got to the front at least 2 different people actually went to the counter in their place. I might have to enquire what the protocol is, do you have to pay for the ringers, and is it alright to sit in the coffee shop whilst they queue for you. Anyway after this had a mad dash round the shop to get a few essentials for making dinner, and decided as the electricity goes off every other night between 6 and 8 that I would cook Fridays meal on Thursday night as well. Then it will only need heating and not cooking. Cunning eh! Thought I was getting the hang of things now, and what happens, low and behold after nearly running home from work on Friday to ensure that dinner was on the table by 6pm for a nice little candle lit affair, no blooming power cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment